Although today I entered my 27th year, deep inside I am still this little girl who loves unicorns and all things colourful. As they say that a birthday is not complete without glamorous cakes, I am sharing my recipe of unicorn cupcakes with you today. This is also my birthday treat to you. Onwards to the recipe shall we?
Serving: 6 cupcakes
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
Preservability: 4 days stored in a sealed container at room temperature
150 gram buckwheat flour (or another form of flour)
150 gram butter
120 gram granulated sugar
90 ml milk
40 gram raw honey
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
100 gram butter
160 gram confectioners’ sugar
80 ml water
150 gram white fondant
1 chocolate decorating pen
food colouring in the basic colors of yellow, blue and red
- Make the unicorn ears, horns and faces from white fondant one day before baking. Make little triangles for the ears and cut out circles (as large as the cupcake liner) to use as face. As for the unicorn horns, create strings in such a way that the middle is the thinnest. The further away from the middle, the thicker the string gets. Then you fold the strings and give them a nice twist. The last step is to apply a toothpick in the middle of each horn so that you can attach them to the cupcakes.
- Colour the inside of the ears and the horns gold with little edible glitter. Place them in the fridge so that they have time to harden.
- The following day, preheat your oven to 160 celsius degrees and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. This enables you to easily take out the cupcakes once they are done. Put it aside until it is ready to use.
- In a large bowl beat together the granulated sugar, egg, honey, milk and butter with an electric mixer for approximately 3 minutes until it becomes a light and fluffy mixture.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt into the mixture and mix them all together at a low speed.
- Divide the dough evenly among the 6 cupcake liners.
- Bake them for around 15-20 minutes at 190 celsius degrees.
- Take the cupcakes out of the oven and let them cool.
- Make the frosting by mixing the butter, confectioners’ sugar and water with an electric mixer for approximately 2 minutes until it becomes a smooth mixture.
- Stick the fondant circles on top of the cupcakes with a little bit of frosting that you have made.
- Mix the three basic colours into the colours of your preference to give the manes of the unicorn a colourful magic effect. My colours of choice are purple, orange and blue. Put each colour in a separate bowl. Divide the remaining frosting equally over the three bowls and mix them well with the colourings.
- Split the piping bag equally into imaginary sections and pour in every section a specific coloured frosting.
- Create little swirls on the upper third of the fondant circle.
- Attach the ears and horns to the cupcakes.
- Draw the eyes of the unicorn with the chocolate decorating pen.. and voilà, your beautiful unicorn cupcakes are ready to eat!
It would be amazing if you are going to make it together with me. Do not forget to share your beautiful masterpieces in the comments below.
Until next time!
2 thoughts on “Best Birthday Treat: Magical Unicorn Cupcakes”
Happy Birthday sweetheart 🙂
Thank you so much! 🙂